Thursday, July 21, 2011

Edwards and Crutchlow ready for California challenge


Colin Edwards Laguna Seca 2011


The immensely popular Texan, who has huge fan base at Laguna Seca, put in a tremendous amount of effort to improve the set-up of his Monster Yamaha YZR-M1 machine in Germany, and he's hoping to reap the rewards this weekend on the shortest track on the MotoGP calendar. Having finished seventh in the California clash in 2009 and 2010, the 37-year-old is determined to battle for a top six finish to delight what will be a large and passionate home support.

This weekend's race presents another fresh challenge for British rider Crutchlow, who is looking forward to testing his skills on the famous Laguna Seca track, which hosts the first of two visits to America for the MotoGP paddock in the space of five weeks. Crutchlow can't wait to get his first taste of the 3.610km circuit and he's looking forward to tackling the awe-inspiring Corkscrew corner, one which requires skill and bravery in abundance to master.

Crutchlow tried a range of different settings in Germany last weekend to improve his confidence with the front-end of his Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team. And while his 14th position didn't reflect his hard work, his c rew is positive they are moving in the right direction to give the 25-year-old the feeling he is looking for.

After a hectic run of six races in eight weeks, the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team will enjoy a richly deserved short summer break after Sunday's race before the 2011 campaign resumes in Brno, Czech Republic on August 14.

Colin Edwards:
“I can't wait to get to Laguna because I love the place so much. I have a lot of family and friends that are coming which always makes it extra special, but the American fans are brilliant to me, so hopefully I can send them home smiling on Sunday night with a good result. It has been a bit manic since Germany because I flew straight to LA to shoot another movie for Yamaha. They are always good fun and I really enjoy myself, so a big thanks to Yamaha US for all they d o in arranging that for us. I am really looking forward to the weekend and although 10th in Germany wasn't the result we wanted, it was actually a positive race. We certainly learned a few things about the bike because we made a lot of changes, so I've got good reason to be optimistic of fighting for the top six this weekend. That's my goal anyway and if we have a smooth weekend, I'm sure that's achievable. I want to get a strong result not just because it's my home race, but it will make the summer break more relaxing and enjoyable and set me up for a strong push in the final part of the season.”

Cal Crutchlow:
“The result last weekend in Germany was a bit disappointing but I'm ready to bounce back in Laguna Seca and fight for a top ten where I know I should be. I'm still searching for some more confidence in the front-end, but all of us in the Monster Yam aha Tech 3 Team are working non-stop to improve the situation and we've got a few ideas to try and Laguna. It is another new track for me but I'm really excited. Laguna Seca is such a famous name and the Corkscrew looks amazing. It looks awesome on TV, so I'm looking forward to getting on the bike on Friday and experiencing it for myself for the first time. I'll have to ask Colin for some tips, but I'm just concentrating on getting a decent result that we can build on for the rest of the season. The last few races have been quite difficult but I'll be working harder than ever this weekend to put things right."

Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team press release

Related Post




Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl