Sunday, September 4, 2011

Red Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup: Alt's win, Baldassarri's Cup


Only Arthur Sissis could challenge Baldassarri for the Cup going into the final event and for most of the race the 16 year old Australian was in the midst of the 4 man battle for the lead until he ran off the track on lap 14 when battling shoulder to shoulder with Baldassarri.

Over the last lap Baldassarri let frontrunners Oettl and Alt fight it out for the win when he saw the advantage he had. “It was a great race,” said Baldassarri. “Such a tough fight, the hardest race of the year. On the last lap I looked back and I could see that Arthur wasn't close, I knew I just had to finish 3rd to take the Cup.”

It was all on between Oettl and Alt with pole man Alt leading onto the final lap but that changed. “Philipp passed me out of the slipstream and there was nothing I could do about it,” explained Alt. “I did everything I could to get back in front but there was no chance. Coming out of the last corner, I was flat out, head down and the suddenly, I don't know why, he slowed and I was past. I won and that makes me happy however it happened.”

“I've nothing to say, the race was fine until the last few metres....” said Oettl, refusing to say that it was a premature celebration that cost him the win, shaking his fist in triumph well before the finish line and easing off enough for Alt to get past.”

He wasn't the only disappointed Rookie of course as Sissis had to accept that the Cup, the winner's KTM Duke 125, was in the hands of the Italian. Chasing Sissis across the line was Vavrous followed by Techer who already had 3rd in the Cup secure before the last race.

In all, 8 different riders won at least one of the 14 races with 16 of the 24 riders finishing on the podium during the season. The Selection Event for the 2012 Red Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup is on October 10th, 11th and 12th where between 10 and 15 riders will be invited to join the 10 to 15 who remain in the Rookies Cup from this season. The 2012 Entry List will be announced in late October.

source: MotoGP Official website

Related Post




Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl