Thursday, February 2, 2012

Dovi reboots riding style for Honda to Yamaha switch



New Monster Yamaha Tech 3 signing Andrea Dovizioso is just happy to be riding in this week's Sepang MotoGP test, having broken his right collarbone in a motocross training accident less than a month ago.

But the former Repsol Honda rider, who made his M1 debut during November's post-race Valencia test, is unsurprisingly lacking the strength needed to fully master his new 1000cc bike.

“I'm really happy because before we came here I didn't know if I could even ride,” said Dovi, sixth and ninth during the two days so far held. “I don't have a lot of pain, but the problem is the power.

“I don't have enough strength to brake on the right. So every right-hand braking - I've seen the data - I lose six or seven tenths just in that corner. This is why I have this position.”

A Honda rider for his entire full-time grand prix career, starting in the 125cc class, Dovizioso revealed that he now needs to make major changes to his riding style.

He told Crash.net: “We came from Valencia with a few problems, but I knew I have to adapt my style to Yamaha because it's really different. I can say opposite. Because the philosophy of Yamaha and Honda from history is always opposite: Honda tried to have the best acceleration and Yamaha the best handling. I have to change everything.

“I'm working a lot to adapt and I've made a big improvement from Valencia but there is more to do.

“Anyway the important point is also to work on the bike and we have some movement on the exit, which for me is really important to solve.

“We also tried to adapt the electronic system for my style and Yamaha style, because I arrive with the mentality of Honda and I tried to ride in some way but it didn't work. So I have to change and lap by lap it was much better, but the level is really high so we have more to do.”

Unlike many riders, Dovizioso said he is not experiencing any notable chatter problems.

The Italian expects he will need one month of training to rebuild his upper body muscles and is therefore hoping to be in much better shape for the second Sepang test at the end of February.

The first Sepang test concludes tomorrow (Thursday).

by Peter McLaren Crash.net

Related Post




Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl