Thursday, July 21, 2011

Consistency the key for Simoncelli


Marco Simoncelli Laguna Seca 2011



Marco Simoncelli believes he needs to get some race consistency if he is to secure the long-awaited MotoGP podium that continues to elude him.

Though controversial at times, Simoncelli has enjoyed a strong season on the factory-specification Gresini Honda, particularly in practice and qualifying, but hasn't replicated that form over the course of a race distance.

Finishing sixth in the German Grand Prix after struggling with tyre wear, Simoncelli declared the result as positive, but is determined to fare better at Laguna Seca for the United States Grand Prix.

“Fourth place at Sachsenring would have been a different story but I am still satisfied with my performance there and I take a lot of motivation with me to America. It was important for me to keep my form up even though it was disappointed I couldn't stick the pace for the full thirty laps. Unfortunately I had problems with the degradation of the left side of the rear tyre and I couldn't push as hard at the end of the race as I could for the first half. 

“It's a shame but at least I get the chance to make up for it at Laguna, a unique circuit that I really like. The track itself fascinates me, the Corkscrew is thrilling and the enthusiasm of the fans gives you an extra boost. Together with the team we will be working to be more consistent over race distance, which will be an important part of closing the gap to the leaders.”

Simoncelli's sentiments are echoed by Gresini team manager Fausto Gresini, who feels the highly-rated Italian is on the verge of producing the results that 'show his true talent'.

“Sixth place for Marco at Sachsenring was perhaps a little below our expectations after the potential he showed in practice but it was still a very important result. He remains on top form and up until the point in the race where he started to struggle with tyre wear there was every chance of him finishing fourth. 

“Marco continues to show that he has the potential for top results and alongside the team I am sure we can work out how to turn that into consistency over race distance. At Laguna Seca, a circuit he really loves, he will be able to show his true talent.”

source: crash

Related Post




Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl