Monday, September 5, 2011

Simoncelli:"Fourth feels like a podium"


If it wasn't for a less than perfect start Simoncelli might even have been battling for a podium finish, but fourth place felt like one to him and his legion of fans after coming through such a combative finish.

A series of mistakes from Hiroshi Aoyama limited the Japanese rider to eleventh place, although it has been a satisfactory weekend for him overall.

Marco Simoncelli: 
“A podium finish is always more satisfying than fourth place of course, but this result feels just as nice because it was such a close and hard fight at the end. Unfortunately I made a mistake and chose the wrong engine map at the start which made me lose touch with the front three, otherwise I maybe could have run with them. I had to make up ground and when I got to fourth place I defended it tooth and nail to win a wonderful battle with Dovizioso and Spies on the last lap. I held fourth for 23 laps and I couldn't let myself lose it at the end. It was nice, I had fun and I think I provided some excitement for my fans. They deserve it because they have backed me through some tough times.”

Hiroshi Aoyama: 
“I didn't have a good feeling this morning but in the afternoon things went much better. That was a really tough race and with the heat it felt like we were in Malaysia. I am not delighted with the result but I’m happy that we set some good consistent laps during the race that can give us confidence for the future. Unfortunately on lap eleven I made a mistake that cost me some time but overall we have had another positive weekend and that will help us in the final few races.”

San Carlo Honda Gresini press release.

Related Post




Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl